We stand at a moment of grave peril for workers and oppressed peoples everywhere, in which the imperialist war drive is pushing us towards a third world war and a nuclear conflagration.
Even as Nato’s aggression in Ukraine is failing both militarily and economically, the USA’s desperation to save its hegemonic position in the world means it cannot back down, but is instead looking for ways to expand and prolong the war. In the face of all experience, it seems that the imperialists still hope they can find a way to wear down all resistance to their rule and come out on top.
As a result, we face the prospect of the Ukraine war spilling over into neighbouring countries in Europe and central Asia – and also of the outbreak of hostilities in several other theatres further east. Recent US provocations in Taiwan, alongside its ceaseless ratcheting up of tensions with the DPRK and China on every front, make this all too clear.
At this moment of historic importance, we, the undersigned parties, agree that the following essential points should be made clear to the masses of the world, and should guide our antiwar and anti-imperialist work:
- That the conflicts that have already or are threatening to break out are not isolated and local affairs, but are integral parts of the USA’s drive to retain its global hegemony.
- That the present war in Ukraine is not the result of ‘Russian aggression’ but of this western imperialist drive to war – in particular, the war drive of the USA.
- That the war really began when the USA and its allies financed, armed and organised a fascist coup in Kiev in 2014, and that the Russian side, in its alliance with the peoples of the Donbass, is engaged in a war of self-defence and national liberation against imperialist attack.
- That the war drives against China and the DPRK are also a result of imperialist aggression, and that, no matter who fires the first shot, if the threatened conflicts break out in Korea or Taiwan, those wars will likewise be wars of anti-imperialist self-defence and national liberation waged by the Korean and/or Chinese people.
- That Russia and China’s ability to defend themselves and others does not indicate expansionist ambitions or imperialist economics; it is based in decades of planning for self-defence, initiated by the socialist governments of the USSR and the PRC.
- That there is no economic data to justify characterising China or Russia as imperialist. These are countries that do not live by superexploiting or looting the world. They do not put other countries into military, technological or debt slavery. On the contrary, the beneficial terms of trade and the technological and military assistance they offer are giving smaller developing countries the chance to break out of imperialist enslavement.
- That Russia and China are the targets of imperialist aggression because both by retaining their own independence, and by assisting other nations to gain theirs, they represent a serious threat to the imperialists’ world hegemony.
- That the growing alliance between Russia and China offers hope to the people of the world: hope of an alternative to US domination and imperialist superexploitation. A strong anti-imperialist camp is our peoples’ best defence against the aggressive plans of the bloodthirsty Nato alliance – our best defence against the looming threat of nuclear war.
- That antiwar activists must mobilise the masses in their countries for a campaign of active non-cooperation with the imperialist war effort aimed at sabotaging Nato’s war machinery in every way possible. We must refuse to fight in or assist Nato’s armies (direct or proxy). We must refuse to transport Nato’s men and materiel. We must refuse to allow Nato’s bases to operate unimpeded on our territories. We must refuse to manufacture or supply Nato’s armaments and other vital equipment. We must refuse to broadcast, print or distribute imperialist propaganda lies; and refuse to cooperate with imperialist trade and sanctions wars.
- That the accelerating war drive, economic crisis, hunger crisis, environmental crisis and more all make it abundantly clear that the need to remove the imperialist economic system is more urgent than ever.
- That the slogans of true anti-imperialists in this time must be: Defeat for the Nato-led imperialist alliance! Victory to the resistance! No cooperation with imperialist war!
List of Signatories in chronological order
1. Communist Party of Great Britain (Marxist-Leninist), UK
2. People’s Democracy Party, South Korea
3. Korea is One, Belgium
4. Baltic Platform
5. Communist Party of Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyzstan
6. Hungarian Workers’ Party, Hungary
7. Communist Party, Italy
8. Italian Communist Party, Italy
9. Communist Party, Switzerland
10. Spanish Avantgarde, Spain
11. Eastern Initiative
12. New Communist Party of Yugoslavia, Serbia
13. National Association of Communists, France
14. Pole of Communist Revival in France, France
15. Chilean Communist Party (Proletarian Action), Chile
16. Socialist Workers Party of Croatia, Croatia
17. Platform for Independence – Greece, Greece
18. Communist Party of Peru (Patria Roja), Peru
19. Collective of Struggle for the Revolutionary Unification of Humanity, Greece
20. People’s Party of Panama, Panama
21. Communist Party of the Peoples of Spain, Spain
22. New Communist Party of Montenegro, Montenegro
23. United Socialist Party of Venezuela, Venezuela
24. Union Proletariat, Spain
25. Rassemblement Communiste, France
26. Lebanese Communist Party, Lebanon
27. Party of Communists USA, USA
28. Mexican Communist Movement, Mexico
29. Dynamique Unitaire Panafricaine, 23 Organisations in Africa
30. Party of the Communists of Kyrgyzstan, Kyrgyzstan
31. Belarusian Communist Workers’ Party, Belarus
32. Belarusian Republican Organization of the CPSU, Belarus
33. Center for Political Innovation, USA
34. Communist Party of Quebec, Canada
35. All-Union Communist Party of Bolsheviks (Nina Andreeva)